Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

List of free statistical software

As poor graduate students, sometimes it's difficult to come up with the $$ it takes to get a decent statistics software or qualitative data analysis software. And, there's too much guilt associated with "borrowing" software from friends.

Today I found a meta-list of free statistical software either released under the GNU license, or are given free of charge. Here's the list: http://statistiksoftware.com/free_software.html

They have many SPSS clones listed on there. I have just downloaded PSPP, which promises to be a good SPSS clone. I'm uninstalling SPSS from my computer since I couldn't get the site license for it. And even if I did, it expires in one year, so what's the point?

Next, I'll have to download something for text analysis that's like Atlas.ti, but free.  I'll post on here when I find something.

2 comments:

Please don't feel guilty about sharing software. Sharing never hurts anyone. The only people who should feel ashamed are those who tell you it's "wrong" or threaten you for it.

PSPP is a great little project. Depending on the level of your course, you may find it doesn't yet have all the features you need, but it's development is progressing steadily. The R project is another (more comprehensive) stats program that you may like to check out too.

February 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

While I agree in principle, I'd rather not have to get even threatened by it. Besides, I'm more of a GNU type person and love to support that whole movement anyhow.

I like SPSS because I can do "quick and dirty" analysis, without having to write a lot of code.

How does R compare to SAS?

February 10, 2009 at 7:26 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home