Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Why iPod would make a great doorstop

So a while back in 2005, I bought a 40G iPod from someone on EBay. I was so excited when I got it. I just couldn't wait until the thing worked. This was my first experience with a Mac product, so I decided to give it a go.

Over the years, I am constantly amazed by the quirks this thing has. It's amazing. I should have picked up on that when I first got it, and had to reset it. So here's all the weird things.

- When you reset an iPod factory settings, you HAVE to have a power source to connect it to. Merely connecting it to a computer will not work. I think the power is separate. But, you can go to any Radio Shack, plug your iPod in any of their auxiliary machines, and after thirty seconds, it boots itself.

- If you use your iPod also as a disk drive, anytime you accidentally disconnect your cable from the machine, you have to reset the iPod, and start all over again, and then copy your library again. So, best advice here is... back everything up that you save on it. It's tempting to save your files on a 40 Gig drive, until you lose your data. Not so much fun then.

- There's actually a site out there where you can check the life of your ipod based on serial number. Sorry, forgot the site. After I entered mine, it told me I had two months left on mine, and sure enough, in two months, it started acting VERY funky. After a while, I just turned it off, and forgot about it because I was annoyed so much. I don't like self-destruct mechanisms that I can't control.

- After getting my new shiny HP laptop, I thought I'd try the iPod again. Had to download iTunes, because for some reason Winamp was not recognizing it. After download, I noticed that iTunes was launching about thirty different processes, and using a "Bonjour" utility that was bringing down my entire network. After tweaking it a bit, I got it to work.

- Everything went fine software wise, but suddenly the iPod starting making an incessant clicking sound that was driving me batty. After some research online, I discovered that this was a common problem; the harddrive was loose. The solution? Insert a folded business card between the harddrive and the cover, and everything will work. I tried that, and now it works without the clicking.

So, for the time being, the iPod is working again. We'll see what devilish things happen next with this piece of machinery. I would like to have it when I go home this summer, but don't trust it enough to throw it or use it as a door stop. If it works, great. If not, then, well.... it won't, and I'll just figure something out to do with it.

4 comments:

Apple makes crapple.

I don't like self-destruct mechanisms that I can't control.

I've noticed that you're quite partial to the ones that you can control. Must be a genetic thing.

June 22, 2008 at 12:21 PM  

Well, of course it's a genetic thing.. What else can it be?

June 22, 2008 at 12:46 PM  

Wow. I've got a five year old (third generation) iPod and the only thing that's happened to it is the lithium battery is totally dead. But if it's hooked up to a power source (like my car charger) it works great, so it's my car "stereo".

But then again, I have an Apple laptop, so iTunes and the iPod were natively designed for it...

You know, I never GOT Bonjour, either. Supposedly I can use it through my iChat, but since I don't know what the crap it is except that it's some kind of messaging program and no one I know has it, why does it exist? O_o

My portable mp3 player that I take to walk to class is a Centon POS that cost me $15, runs off one AA batt, and works great, lol. I don't trust the newer iPods for reasons just like the ones you were enumerating here...

June 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

I guess I also forgot to mention the battery problems with the 4G as well.

From what I hear, 4G are especially a problem, unlike the 3G. Maybe bc mine has 40 Gigs? I don't know.

That Bonjour process is stupid! I don't know anyone who uses that feature.

June 23, 2008 at 10:17 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home